Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Things to miss about Egypt: The boss of KG2

One day this year my kids asked, "Ms. Jen, why are all the other teachers in our class all the time?"
"Because I'm the boss of KG2." I answered.

It sort of stuck with them, and some of them were even a little prideful about it.  To the point where I think maybe some of them thought they could be the kid bosses of KG2.  I'll never forget one day when Mr. A wandered over to teach one of his students a little lesson.  The conversation went like this:

Mr. A: Ms. Jen, I thought you said _____ was a really good reader in reading groups, but he can't seem to read this direction on his paper....

Me:  Come here ____, read what this says.

(Child reads the sentence)

Mr. A: (Sarcastically) Wow Ms. Jen, I just don't understand why he can't do it for me, but he seems to have no problem with you...

Hannah:  Maybe it's cause she's the boss of KG2.

I've greatly enjoyed my 2 years as the boss of KG2.  I've had an amazing group of teachers to work with who are always willing to help (when I'll loosen control and let them).  In my 3 short years here we've grown from 60 to 120 kids.  We've changed the curriculum and upped the standards drastically, to where we're now par for the course with U.S. kindergarten.  We've learned to work together, play together, and enjoy our jobs together.  It's been nice to be the boss.  We all know how much I like being in charge...

I move to a new school where things are unknown and I am certainly not the boss.  I'll miss it.  But hey, I guess if I have to trade being the boss for being able to go to Target and Chick-fil-a every day (except Sunday of course) then it's worth it.

I'll leave you with one of my very favorite photos from the year.  I was looking through my 2000 pictures from the year to pick my favorite 30 for the slide show, and I came across this one that I'd forgotten about from Sports Day:

Talk about determined!!

post signature

1 comment:

Tara G. said...

Your kids have been impacted for life!!! And now I have to prove I'm not a robot but they don't make it easy with these crazy number pictures!